Perfect for a tasty summer meal or picnic. This quiche can be eaten hot or cold.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- black pepper
- 2 leeks, rinsed and thinly slice (white parts only)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 capsicum, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Press mixture firmly into the base and up the sides of a quiche or pie dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat. Add half a teaspoon of the oil and the leeks and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add mixed herbs and cook for two minutes, the leeks should just be turning brown.
- Tip the leeks onto a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan, add the mushrooms and capsicum and cook over low heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the leeks and cook for a further two minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and transfer vegetables into the crust.
- In a bowl mix together the eggs, milk and a pinch of pepper and pour over the cooked vegetables.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the quiche is set in the middle.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- To serve sprinkle the quiche with parmesan cheese (if using).
You can substitute any vegetables you have at home in this recipe.