This tasty breakfast sandwich is a cross between French toast and a toasted sandwich. We've used ham and cheese, but any toasted sandwich filling will work.
- 8 slices wholegrain bread
- 4 slices ham
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- black pepper
- Place 4 slices of bread on a board.
- Place 1 slice of ham and a little grated cheese on each slice of bread (make sure you don't over fill or the filling will spill out during cooking).
- Top with the remaining bread slices to make sandwiches. Press down firmly.
- Heat a non-stick fry pan over a medium heat. Spray pan with a little oil.
- While fry pan is heating, whisk together eggs, milk and pepper in a shallow bowl or flat dish.
- Gently dip your sandwich in the egg mixture. Turn over sandwich to make sure it is completely coated in egg mixture.
- Place sandwich in fry pan. You may be able to fit 2 sandwiches in the pan at once, depending on the size of your pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes, then turn and cook on other side for a few minutes until hot and golden.
- Remove sandwich from pan. Cut into triangles with 2 diagonal cuts.
- Repeat with other sandwiches.
Use any of your favourite toasted sandwich fillings, such as canned spaghetti or baked beans, sliced mushrooms, or drained crushed pineapple.