Wake up to warm and filling porridge with this super-easy slow cooker porridge recipe. Breakfast will be ready and waiting when you get up. This slow cooker method uses a bowl inside your slow cooker bowl.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, sultanas, chopped nuts, pumpkin seeds or coconut (optional extras)
- Turn slow cooker onto LOW.
- Find a heatproof bowl that will fit inside your slow cooker bowl and a lid or plate to sit on top of it.
- In the heatproof bowl, mix together the rolled oats, water and optional extras.
- Place the lid or a plate on top of the porridge bowl.
- Put about 2 cups of water into your slow cooker bowl (so the water covers the bottom of the slow cooker bowl and comes up the side about 3-centimetres).
- Put the lidded bowl of porridge into the water in the slow cooker.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for about 8 hours or overnight.
- In the morning, scoop into bowls and top with a little milk or yoghurt and some fruit.
- Using a bowl with a lid inside the slow cooker stops the porridge from drying out.
- For tasty berry porridge, thaw 1 cup of berries in the fridge overnight and stir through porridge in the morning.