A warm and hearty family meal. Slow cookers are great for busy people - switch on in the morning and come home to a tasty dinner.
- 750 grams lean beef for casseroling (chuck or blade steak)
- 750 grams potatoes, peeled or scrubbed
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup green olives, halved (optional)
- 3 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (400 gram can)
- 1 1/2 cups low-salt beef stock (make by mixing 1 stock cube or 2 teaspoons of stock powder with 1½ cups water)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Turn slow cooker onto LOW to pre-warm while you prepare the ingredients.
- Cut beef and potatoes into 2cm pieces.
- Put beef, potatoes, onion, olives and garlic into the slow cooker.
- In a jug stir together the canned tomatoes, beef stock and paprika.
- Pour into the slow cooker, stir to mix and cover with the lid.
- Cook on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH for 3½ to 4 hours without lifting the lid.
- Once the cooking time is finished, check the beef for tenderness and cook for longer if required (you can turn the slow cooker onto HIGH to hurry it along).
- Season with a little salt and pepper and sprinkle over chopped parsley.
Serve with your family's favourite veges.
Leftover stew is delicious eaten on toast.