A cheaper and healthier alternative to sausage rolls, these delicious filo rolls make a perfect pre-dinner nibble or snack.
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped finely
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 packet filo pastry
- Oil spray
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- To make the filling, mix eggs, walnuts, onion, soy sauce, cottage cheese, breadcrumbs, rolled oats and mixed herbs together in a large bowl until well combined.
- Use four sheets of filo per roll. Spray a little oil between each layer of filo.
- Spoon ¼ cup of the filling along one long edge of the filo.
- Roll the filo starting at the end with the filling to form a tube (making sure no filling falls out).
- Repeat until all of the mixture has been used up. This should make four long rolls.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of each roll with milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Leave the rolls to cool for a few minutes, then cut into smaller bite sized pieces and serve with your choice of dipping sauce.