A tasty and easy way to feed hungry mouths! Perfect cold in a packed lunch or picnic, or as a filling snack.
- 12 slices wholegrain bread, crusts removed
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup fillings (see suggestions below)
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Slightly flatten bread with a rolling pin to make shaping easier.
- Spread margarine thinly on one side of the bread.
- Press bread slices into muffin tins (margarine side down).
- Divide your choice of fillings evenly between the bread cases.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the fillings. Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cases are golden and the egg is set.
We like these filling combinations:
- grated zucchini, chopped chopped tomato and grated cheese
- sliced ham and crushed pineapple
- baked beans and grated cheese
- frozen corn kernels, sliced ham and diced red onion
- sliced mushroom, sliced spring onion and chopped spinach
Tip: This recipe is a great way of using up stale bread. You can use tortillas instead of bread if you have them.