Only minutes in the microwave! A low-cost and fun snack recipe that is really easy to make.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup popping corn kernels
To cook in the microwave:
- Place oil and corn kernels in a plain brown paper bag, folding the top of the bag over twice to seal in the corn kernels. Shake to coat kernels with oil. You could also use a microwave proof bowl with lid.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 minutes or until most kernels have popped.
- If needed, transfer cooked popcorn to a bowl and return unpopped corn to the microwave for 30 seconds.
To cook on the stove top:
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add the popping corn.
- Cover the pan with a lid and shake over the heat to prevent burning.
- Corn should be popped in 2 to 3 minutes.
- This recipe makes about 8 cups of popcorn. Store any leftovers in an air-tight container and it will last for a couple of weeks.
- Keep unpopped corn kernals in the freezer and remove just before using - it pops better and doesn't burn as easily.