These are a great addition to any lunchbox or a tasty treat at children’s parties and family get-togethers. Toppings can easily be changed to suit. Get the kids to help grate and spread toppings - or even design their own unique topping combinations.
- 6 long wholemeals rolls
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- 1 can tomato-based pasta sauce (420 gram can)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 slices salami, chopped
- 6 slices shaved ham, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 can crushed pineapple in juice (440 gram can), drained
- Preheat oven to 180°C and set to grill. Line a tray with baking paper or tinfoil.
- Precook onion - place chopped onion in microwave-proof jug or bowl with a little water and cook on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Slice bread rolls in half longways and lay out on tray with cut side up.
- Spoon a tablespoon of pasta sauce on each roll.
- On half of the rolls, place the ham, pineapple and half of the onion.
- On the other half place the salami and the other half of the onion.
- Top with the tomatoes, mushrooms, and corn.
- Top all rolls with grated cheese.
- Grill for 10 minutes or until golden and the cheese is bubbling.