An easy and cheap family meal in one pot! Any combination of fresh or frozen vegetables can be used in this recipe.
- 400 grams chicken, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn
- Slice chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over a medium heat. Add chicken and cook for two minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, spices and rice. Cook for a further two minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, water and carrots.
- Cover and simmer on a low heat for around 20 minutes. Stir regularly so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Add frozen peas and corn. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with green salad or steamed green vegetables.