Mussels are a great source of nutrients and taste fantastic in this great chowder recipe.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 24 fresh mussels in shell
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup peas
- 1 can evaporated milk
- Heat oil in a large pot and gently cook the onion, carrot and celery.
- Add garlic and cook briefly.
- Add potatoes and water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently.
- Add mussels and cook until they are all open.
- Remove the mussels and take the mussel meat from the shells, discarding any that don’t open.
- Chop the mussel meat roughly and set aside.
- Add peas and corn to the pot.
- Add evaporated milk.
- Return to a gentle simmer.
- Mix cornflour with a little cold water to form a thin paste.
- Slowly add cornflour paste to soup mixing constantly until you reach the desired thickness.
- Return chopped mussel meat to the pot.
- Serve immediately.