Minestrone is a tasty vegetable soup with tomatoes, beans and pasta. A filling, tasty meal or snack that's perfect on cool winter days.
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup macaroni
- 2 1/2 cups low-salt vegetable stock (or 2 teaspoons stock powder and 2 1/2 cups water)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 dried bay leaves (optional)
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes (400 grams)
- 1 can cannellini or kidney beans (400 grams)
- 1/2 cup frozen green beans
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Heat a little oil in a large saucepan. Add garlic, onion, carrot and celery and cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add pasta, stock, water and bay leaves (if using) and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, cannellini or kidney beans, frozen green beans, oregano and basil. Cook for another few minutes.
- The soup is ready when the pasta is tender and the soup is hot. Remove from heat.
- Serve in bowls with wholegrain toast.
Try adding 2 cups shredded cabbage or silverbeet when in season (add at the same time as pasta).