Well-cooked puréed lentils are a great vegetarian baby food option.
½ small onion
100 grams lentils
1 teaspoon oil
2 tablespoons breast milk or formula
- Finely chop the onion.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat.
- Cook the onions in the oil until soft.
- Add the lentils and cover with water.
- Cook until soft, about 35 minutes.
- Drain and mash or purée with a blender or food processor.
- Stir through enough breast milk or formula to make a smooth purée.
- Freeze leftover cooled purée in ice cube trays.
If puréed until very smooth, this recipe can be fed to a baby when starting solid foods at around 6 months.