This casserole uses cheap cuts of meat and is high in iron. It's perfect for your growing baby from six months of age.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion
- 200 grams stewing steak (beef or lamb)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 kūmara
- 2 potatoes
- 1 cup water
- Finely chop the onion.
- Cut the meat into pieces about 1 centimetre in size.
- Peel the kūmara and potatoes and chop into pieces of about 1 centimetre.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the diced onion and cook until soft
- Add the lamb or beef and cook for a few minutes to brown the meat.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to the boil. Add extra water if necessary to cover the meat and vegetables
- Place a lid on the saucepan and turn the heat down until the casserole is simmering.
- Cook until the meat is very tender (about 40 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Allow the casserole to cool for 10 minutes.
- Purée in a food processor or blender.
- Freeze leftover cooled purée in ice cube trays.
If puréed until very smooth, this recipe can be fed to a baby when starting solid foods at around 6 months.