A great way to use up stale bread and a tasty winter dessert - this pudding is a sure winner.
- 12 slices stale bread
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins or sultanas
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Spread each slice of bread with a thin layer of margarine then cut in half diagonally.
- Cover the base of a lasagne dish with half the bread slices, making sure the margarine is facing upwards.
- Sprinkle half the brown sugar, raisins or sultanas, dried apricots (if using) and mixed spice over the bread.
- Repeat with the remaining bread slices, then brown sugar, raisins or sultanas, dried apricots and mixed spice.
- In a jug, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla essence. Pour over the bread and push down gently to help it soak in.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden on top.
- Reheated leftover pudding makes a great breakfast the next day.
- You can use any type of leftover bread for this recipe. If you have fruit bread to use, you won't need to add raisins or sultanas.