Make this all-time favourite curry at home with this quick and tasty recipe. It's easy and low in fat so extra good for your family.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tandoori paste (see Notes below)
- 500 grams chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup liquid chicken stock (or ½ teaspoon chicken stock powder mixed into ½ cup hot water)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- ½ cup natural (plain) yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in a non-stick frying pan.
- Add the onion and cook until soft.
- Stir in the tandoori paste and cook for two minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir. Cook for another two minutes until it starts to brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer (gentle boil) and leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas and simmer for another five minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the yoghurt and lemon juice.
- Serve with rice.
If you don't have tandoori paste, you can make your own spice mixture by combining 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp tumeric, 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp curry powder and 1/4 tsp chilli powder. Stir together and use in step 3 instead of tandoori paste.
If your family likes their butter chicken extra spicy, add more of these spices.