Couscous is quick and easy to prepare. A versatile ingredient that can absorb strong flavours easily and makes the perfect base for salads with tasty dressings.
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 cups boiling water
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved (or 2 large tomatoes, diced)
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 tablesoon sultanas
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup low-fat natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- Put the couscous in a large bowl and pour over the boiling water.
- Cover the bowl with glad wrap and stand for 5 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork.
- Once cooled stir in the cherry tomatoes, cucumber, sultanas and red onion.
- Mix yoghurt, lemon juice and mint in a small bowl, pour over the couscous and mix to combine.
Couscous can be mixed with all kinds of ingredients - try kumara, spinach, peppers or beetroot. Use vegetables in season to keep costs down or try tinned options like chickpeas.