This pie is a classic, it's hearty and tasty and is sure to become a family favourite.
- 5 medium sized potatoes
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 500 grams lean beef mince
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 440 gram can chopped tomatoes
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup grated edam cheese
- Preheat oven to grill at 200C.
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to the boil.
- Peel and chop potatoes and add to the pot of water. Cook until tender.
- Drain potatoes, put in a bowl and mash with milk. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Add mince and cook until brown.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add tomatoes, carrots and tomato paste and simmer for 20 minutes
- Put the mince mix into a baking dish, spread the mashed potato over the top and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Place under the grill and cook for 10 minutes or until golden.
Frozen vegetables can be added to this dish making it a great way to boost your daily vegetable intake. Try peas, diced carrots, corn or beans.