This pie is a classic, it's hearty and is sure to become a family favourite.
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped or grated
- 500 grams beef mince
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 courgettes, finely chopped or grated
- 440 gram can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
- Boil the potatoes until soft. Drain, add the milk and mash.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and carrots, cook for 5-10 minutes until soft. Add the mince and brown.
- Add mushrooms, courgettes, tomatoes, water and tomato sauce. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Place the mince mixture in a baking dish. Spread the potato over the top and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 200°C for 20-30 minutes or until the mince mixture is bubbling and the top is golden.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley (optional).
Frozen vegetables can be added to this dish. Try peas, diced carrots, corn or beans.