A great winter lunch or evening meal idea, this quick and easy chowder can be whipped up in under half an hour! Kids will love the sweet corn flavour too.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 rashers lean bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped (optional)
- 1 can cream style corn
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add onion, celery and bacon.
- Cook for three minutes or until onion is clear, stirring frequently.
- Stir in flour and cook for one minute.
- Stir in milk, frozen corn, thyme, cream style corn and salt.
- Bring to the boil and cook until thick (about five minutes).
- Sprinkle with cracked pepper and serve with warm crusty bread.
For a vegetarian option, remove the bacon.