Meat and vegetables can be cooked and puréed together to make baby food.
- 200 grams boneless chicken meat (breast or thigh)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 medium sized kūmara
- 1 carrot
- ½ teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 cup water
- Remove any skin from the chicken and cut into one centimetre cubes.
- Peel the vegetables and chop into one centimetre cubes.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the chicken and cook until it starts to colour.
- Add the vegetables and cook stirring for one minute.
- Add the water and herbs and cook until the chicken is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes and purée with a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Freeze leftover cooled purée in ice cube trays.
If puréed until very smooth, this recipe can be fed to a baby when starting solid foods at around 6 months.