An easy dish to make, this salad is a hearty option for a summer BBQ. Brown rice takes a little longer to cook than white rice but is more filling.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 handful baby spinach, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- juice from 2 lemons
- 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted (optional)
- Cook the rice in a large pot of boiling water for 30 minutes or until soft to bite.
- Drain well, stir through the baby spinach and set aside to cool.
- Mix the peeled and chopped avocado, chopped tomatoes, lemon juice, parsley and sunflower seeds (if using) through the cold rice.
For a slightly different flavour, try swapping the parsley for chopped fresh mint, basil or coriander. Other ingredients you could add include red onion, capsicum, and chopped nuts.