When your baby is eight to twelve months old, they will be ready for more textures and lumpy food if they show these signs ...
- are learning to crawl and pull themselves up to stand
- can bite well and can chew soft lumps
- are interested in different or more types of foods.
- Mashed vegetables mixed with minced (or finely chopped) cooked meat, chicken, kai moana, egg or slightly mashed cooked legumes.
- Rice, or chopped-up noodles or pasta or rice.
- Add chopped soft fruit to yoghurt or custard.
- Offer breakfast cereal, such as porridge, wheat biscuits or infant muesli.
- Introduce slightly firmer fruit and vegetables such as soft ripe kiwifruit or cooked kūmara.
- Finely-grated raw carrot or apple.
- Toast fingers.