Here are some tips to help you and your baby enjoy this special time ...
- Offer solids when your baby is relaxed and happy.
- Give your baby its milk feed first until your baby is 8 to 9 months old and offer solids as a ‘top up’.
- Try ½ to 2 teaspoons first and gradually increase the amount until your baby is having about 3 to 4 teaspoons at a meal.
- Hold your baby while you feed them or sit them in a baby high chair.
- Use a small teaspoon and place the food in the middle of their tongue.
- Babies are very good at knowing if they need more food and when they have had enough. All babies are different. Watch for signs your baby is full.
- Throw out any uneaten food on your baby’s plate.
- Try one new food every 2 to 4 days. If they don’t like the food the first time, wait a few days and try again - it might take up to 15 times. You can also try mixing the food with a food your baby likes.