Planning your meals in advance each week is one of the best ways to save money at the supermarket.
It's also a great way to save time and will mean you waste less food.
Try some of these tips to help with planning:
- Before writing your shopping list, do a quick stocktake of the food you already have in your fridge, freezer and pantry.
- Decide on your meals for the week (using any items you already have that need using up).
- Look to add ingredients like lentils, beans, eggs, potatoes, rice and pasta. These are good for making meals go further.
- Check weekly specials at your supermarket and plan meals around them.
- Choose meals that use fruit and vegetables that are in season.
- Make extra for one meal to freeze as a back up for when things don't go to plan.
- Look for versatile ingredients like chicken (which can be cooked in many different ways).
- Write a list and stick to it!