Ever wondered what foods should be stored where?
Check out these common food items below that are best stored out of the fridge.
- Bread - putting bread in the fridge dries it out, try storing what you need for the next two days in a bread box and freeze the rest.
- Tomatoes - tomatoes in the fridge go mushy and the flavor is dulled, try storing them in a bowl on the bench.
- Jam - jam has a high preservative content so will keep well in the cupboard once opened.
- Honey - honey hardens in the frige making it unusable, keep it in the cupboard with the other spreads.
- Apples, oranges, lemons and stone fruit - these fruits loose their flavour and the texture is changed when stored in a fridge, store in a bowl on the bench for best eating.
- Potatoes and kumara - the fridge makes the starches in these root veges gritty, they are best stored in a dark place.